Monday, May 20, 2013

Make a Low Acid Coffee

If there is anyone out there that enjoys their morning coffee more then me I would be surprised.  It is the first thing I think about when I walk downstairs in the morning. It is a great excuse to sit down for a few minutes and a great way to socialize.  However the high acidity levels of coffee can make it hard on the digestive system.  I decided to do some research about low acid coffee and found some slightly less acidic popular coffee choices.

Nabob actually has the acidity rating on the package but don't get confused as the higher the rating, the less acidic the coffee actually is.  I wanted an even less acidic coffee and it was recommended to try cafe lib, a natural caffeine free coffee substitute.  This is what it states on their site: "A 100% natural healthy alternative to coffee, caf-Lib is recommended for anyone who wants to reduce or eliminate their caffeine intake: pregnant or menopausal women; people suffering from a heart condition, upset stomach or sleeplessness; athletes and others looking for natural alternatives; children and teens for whom coffee is not suitable, etc.". Some of the reviews I read we're fairly positive comparing the taste to instant coffee.  I tried it, it wasn't bad but its not something I enjoyed or would want to drink everyday.  

So I kept looking and found something called cold brewed coffee.  Some people use a special device but I assure you it is not necessary.  I tried it for the first time today and I loved it, I actually enjoyed it more then my regular coffee.  If you would like a coffee with approximately 70% less acidity, I suggest you give it a try. 



Here are the instructions:

Mix 1/3 cup of coffee grounds with 1.5 cups of filtered water into a mason jar (yields 2 cups of coffee).
  • Leave for 12 hours at room temperature.
  • When your ready to prepare your coffee, strain the mixture through a coffee filter to eliminate the grounds.
  • Measure the amount of liquid remaining and add the same amount of water to get black coffee (adjust to your personal taste)
  • Heat either in a pot or the microwave
  • For those who use milk, add milk as you normally would.
  • For those who use sugar, be careful not to add too much as this type of brew is naturally sweeter.
Note: I used Nabob, medium roast Breakfast Blend, some people prefer to use freshly ground beans.


No comments: