Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Shaving gel/cream/foam

Shaving gels/creams/foams contain chemicals associated with Cancer, Organ system toxicity, as well as skin, eye and lung irritation.  Here is a list of some of the chemicals and their concerns:
  • Triethanolamine (TEA)-Cancer, Allergies/immunotoxicity, Organ system toxicity
  • Isopentane-Allergies/immunotoxicity, Ecotoxicology, Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs) 
  • Isobutane-Allergies/immunotoxicity, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs)
  • Fragrance- Allergies, dermatitis, respiratory distress and potential effects on the reproductive system
  • PEG-90M-Organ system toxicity
  • BHT, BHA-Cancer, Endocrine disruption, Allergies/immunotoxicity, Persistence and bioaccumulation, Organ system toxicity 
  • Quaternium-15-Allergies/immunotoxicity, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive)

I did not find a local store bought shaving substance without added chemicals so I do not have a recommendation.  However, my home made shaving cream recipe works so well and is easy to make, not to mention cheap.  The texture is more like a gel with minimal foaming and the ability to still see the stubble underneath.  I have been using it for a while but wanted to make sure before I posted it, that it would work as well on coarse hair or a man’s facial hair.  So I kindly asked my husband to try it out.  He was afraid to try it as he was catching a flight in a couple hours and didn't want to have a bad reaction.  I assured him it was 100% natural and as far as we knew he wasn't allergic to coconuts so it should be fine. Still I anticipated him wiping it off and asking for his regular shave gel back. But to my relief he said he loved it and couldn't believe how smooth his face felt.  There were no razor cuts or razor burn and I must say myself that his face did look smooth.  Also because of the coconut oil he didn't have to waste time moisturizing.  



Homemade Shaving cream
1/2 cup Coconut oil
1 teaspoon Grape seed oil

Mix all 3 ingredients together, add more coconut oil to make thicker.  Remember that coconut oil turns to liquid when it touches your skin.

No comments: